I found a similar recipe to this a really long time ago. I’ve played around with it to make it perfect for my taste buds. There are lots of different versions of this sauce now but I love this one. It can be made as thick and creamy as you want (add less water, more cashews/vegan butter etc). It is perfect for so many dishes.
This recipe makes ‘a lot’ of sauce! I used this batch to make a big lasagne, vegetable bake and nachos!! I haven’t yet tried freezing it but will report back when I do as it would be great to have a supply of this handy for a quick dinner that the whole family will enjoy.
- 1 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup red capsicum, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup cashews
- 3-4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil or vegan butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Boil the first 4 ingredients until soft
- In a blender add the remainder of the ingredients. Gently blend with one cup of the cooked veggie water
- Add cooked veggies to mixture
- Add up to one more cup of veggie water if necessary.The consistency should be slightly thick but not too much!
- Your sauce is now ready to use!